Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Random Thoughts

I have often been asked, especially when I was training for my half marathons, What do you think about while you run? Usually, people say it in the tone of voice that implies what they really mean is, How are you not bored out of your mind? I never know how to respond because I am not usually consciously processing the thoughts cross my mind while I run, but the other day I decided to try to remember what I was thinking about during my 3 mile run so that I could accurately answer the question next time it came up. So, without further ado....

I hope that I actually think interesting thoughs. Oh my gosh, what if my thoughts are totally banal and make me seem dumb?!

Did I charge my IPod? Dear God, please tell me I charged it, I cannot make it 3 miles without music today! (Check battery icon on nano and find it half full and breathe a sigh of relief.)

This feels pretty good...3 miles should be easy.

3 minutes later....

Ughh...maybe I should only run 2 miles. No! No, I will do 3. I swear. Unless my right hamstring starts to get sore then I will cut it short.

Is my right hamstring sore?

"We've only got 4 minutes to save the world....."

I wonder if there are geese in the back pond today. I wonder if today is the day they will give chase and peck my eyes out. (Have I mentioned my irrational fear of birds?)

No geese, but lots of goose poop. Watch out!

I want to walk, I want to walk. Wait, someone is coming. Look cool. Pick up the pace, yeah that's it Kelly. Smile like it aint no thang!

Nothing. I think nothing for at least half a mile. It's like a black hole of thoughts.

Okay, "Bulls on Parade" on repeat for the rest of the run.

Not much longer now. Pretend you are racing Kelly, but your actually good and fast and at the front of the pack. (Running stronger now.)

And...I'm....done! (Breathing heavy). Now, that feels good!

1 comment:

Carissa said...

Haha! This is me when I run: "I'm going to at least make it to that sign up there. Ok, I made it to the sign. Now I'm going to try to make it to that tree."