Thursday, January 24, 2008

Atlanta, Here We Come!




It's official, Wes and I are running the ING Georgia Half Marathon on March 30th. I conned him into doing the 13.1 miles with me by registering way ahead of time. You see, now that we have payed for it he has to participate! Just kidding (kind of). He keeps saying that he really does want to do it but he has been grimacing when he looks at some of the runs we have ahead of us.

We started our official training this week. Tuesday was our first speed workout and I have to say that even I was not looking forward to it. I have bad associations with the track (leftover from several half hearted attempts on my high school's track team) and I was kind of dreading my workout on Tuesday afternoon - but I showed up anyway - I'm committed!

Wes had done his workout that morning so when Noah and I showed up at the track on base, he went off to play with Dad and I was left to my own negative thoughts. But, pretty soon a funny thing happened. I finished my warm up and felt good. I did my first 400 interval (faster than I was supposed to by the way!) and felt even better. I even got really mad when the national anthem started playing throughout the base and we all had to stop and face the nearest flag. By the end of the workout I had that great feeling you get when you know that you worked really hard but you don't feel like throwing up! It could all be beginner's luck of course, but I really think I will enjoy this training thing. Maybe it was my ipod free run, or the fact that I was really engaged in what I was doing because it was speed work - I don't know, but I hope the next two months are equally satisfying and fun.




After I finished I found Wes and Noah and asked Wes if had enjoyed his workout. He shrugged and said "It was okay, I'm tired". I told him that track workouts were my new favorite thing to do. Poor Wes, he looked at me with disgust, shook his head, and said "I want a divorce."


So anyway...whether you want to hear about it or not, we will be keeping everyone updated on our training if for no other reason than to keep us accountable. If everyone knows about it there's no backing out now!


Noah spent the whole time running back and forth across the field trying to catch me on every turn. He was obviously very tired - and thirsty - from his workout!

2 comments:

Kelly Shealy said...

Just to clarify...the divorce comment was a joke (kind of!). But, if she keeps making me do these crazy runs it might become reality!

And, I am not sure it was a grimace as much of a look of consternation!

And I think I got two workouts that day because Noah did run back and forth across the football field, onto and off of the track. Somebody had to keep him out of the other runners way and that someone was me. I was exhausted by the end. -Wes

McKee said...

I think you're both crazy and may have to divorce you as friends, I am sure Adam will agree with me. J/K

But I do hope that your motivation rubs off on me so that after Maggie is born I can get rid of this baby weight.

Good luck with your training!!