Thursday, July 19, 2012

My Mom Gets Married

Last Friday my Mom and her fiance got married in an intimate outdoor ceremony. It was really lovely and we are all really happy for them!

That was the short story. Keep reading if you want the long story - complete with pictures.

So let's start with the clothes. My sister and I helped my Mom pick out her dress a couple of months ago. Once I saw what she picked, and had a better idea about what I should get, I went shopping and found a dress in my favorite color. (Noah's too!) Here is a picture of it on. Please excuse the look on my face - I hope I don't look quite that snooty all the time, but I'm afraid I might.


So, I let the beautiful color distract me from the fact that the dress was 100% silk. A serious disaster for several reasons, but the main one being that when I picked it up from the alterations place the morning of the wedding it was so beyond wrinkled I knew I could not wear it. I tried not to panic - after all, it was not my special day and I could always wear something else - and we attempted to take it to the cleaners to see if they could steam it. They could not. Then my sister literally said to me over the phone, "I mean, just put it in the dryer and fluff it up a little." After I counted to 10 and explained about what 100% silk meant Wes stepped in to save the day. He came home from work that afternoon with a brand new deluxe garment steamer. Seriously. And then he did this.


I love my husband. After 10 years he is getting pretty good at reading my moods and deciphering what I need. He knew that on that particular day I needed a steamer.

Anyway, on to the actual wedding. Mom and Marv got married in the garden of a little bed and breakfast in Summerville. It was a really perfect spot for their small ceremony that included just their daughters (my sister and I, and his two girls) and their daughters' significant others/families. The guests waited with Marv and the officiant - our friend Jeff who may need to leave his lucrative position as head honcho at the railroad in order to preform wedding ceremonies full time - under the gazebo while Noah and Liam walked Bebe down the "aisle".


Isn't that the sweetest picture?! The ceremony was very short but the words Jeff had written were really perfect. My favorite was the part where he said something to the effect of "learning to see imperfection as perfection". So true, and something that anybody who is married knows is necessary! After vows and rings the happy couple kissed, we cheered, and then all headed inside for a champagne toast.



The inside of the house was beautiful and Noah quietly asked Wes, "Is this Bebe and Marv's new house?!" Wes and I chuckled and then quickly realized that this nicely decorated place was not very kid friendly. The boys alternated between running down the hall and sitting like this in chairs.


They may have been a little bored. But despite that, they were very well behaved and I was so proud of them. They did manage to join in some picture taking with the rest of us.

Posing for a picture with Bebe and Marv. Lose the paci Liam!

Aunt J and her main squeeze, Brett.

Jeff fills out all the official paperwork.

All the girls. Lindsey, Jamie, Jessie and me. Do you like how were color coordinated. That was not planned but great minds must think alike :)

Getting ready to go for the bouquet. We were hoping for a good show....

But it landed straight into Jamie's hands. Darn! No cat fights!

My sis and I even snapped a normal picture - no silly faces allowed! (Also, can you spot the other problem with silk? Let's just say you can't wear it in the Charleston heat and be "Sure" at the same time!)

 After the ceremony Jeff took the kids home for us (props to Jeff and Lisa for being our babysitters) and headed downtown for dinner at Basil. The food was delicious and we really enjoyed celebrating Mom and Marv. Although, it was pretty funny that with the loud background noise and dim lighting neither of them could hear very well, and both had to be read the menu items by the people next to them. Ha! Sorry to call you guys out like that but I couldn't resist. It's all in good fun!

This is more what our pictures usually look like!


After a yummy meal, we sent the newlyweds off on their "honeymoon" and the rest of us called it a night.

And now, as of tomorrow, my Mom and all her belongings will be official residents of Charleston. Well, Summerville actually but you get my point. She gets to live near by in Charleston with Marv - just like she has wanted to do for so long. We are very happy for her!



No comments: