Monday, January 5, 2009

Resolution Run



So, the crazy holiday season is over and I am stopping to take a breath. Not that it wasn't a blast, and not that it didn't go out with a bang. Wes and I had a fabulous New Years Eve with friends - thanks Bebe for staying with Noah so we could have the whole night to relax and enjoy ourselves!

I have decided that I will make no resolutions this year as they almost never last past the second week in January. Instead I am focusing on achieving certain goals in 2009 - there, that sounds better than, "my new year's resolution is...." Anyway, one of my goals is to run the ING Georgia Half Marathon in 2 hours. That means shaving 30 minutes off of last year's time which sounds totally crazy but I think I can do it. It will mean hard work but I am okay with that. In fact Wes and I officially start our training schedule for that race today, so here goes nothing!

We decided to kick off our months of training with a 5k this past Saturday. It was a Resolution Run (oops, sorry, I mean a "goal setting" run) downtown that sounded fun so we loaded up Noah - and Bebe and Aunt J - and headed to the starting line. I really wanted to run faster than my last 5k time but I was unsure because I only really started running on my newly healed foot about a month and a half ago and that has been sporadic at best. I wanted to see a 26 in the minute column of my time instead of a 27 and I decided to go for it. Long story short, it hurt really bad, but I came in at 26:50, shaving a whole minute off of my 5k PR. It helps that Wes ran with me and pushed me when he could tell that I was struggling. Oh, and no matter what he tells you, I did not yell at him mid-race! Okay, maybe I did but I was seeing spots and about to hurl and therefore not responsible for my actions.

Anyway, that is why I think I can achieve my half marathon goal three months from now. If I train right, and as long as I have my husband "motivating" me, I think it is possible. As for my other 2009 goals... I haven't decided yet. Well, I take that back. One other goal I have is to potty train my son without going insane...somehow that running thing seems much easier.

No comments: