Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Recap

I like to pride myself on my ability to work a Friends quote into almost any situation. I have been waiting to use this one ever since I started eating vegetarian this past summer...

"Happy Needless Turkey Murder Day!"

Thanks Phoebe!

Okay, so now onto the actual blog post.

Part 1: The Turkey Trot

As has been our tradition for the past several years - except the year I was pregnant - we headed downtown to begin our Thanksgiving with the annual Turkey Day Run. My Mom and Marv joined us for this really fun 5k. Marv ran and Mom stayed with the boys during the race.


The morning was pretty cold and I will admit that I had a mini freak out about whether I should wear long sleeves or short sleeves. Wes and Marv opted for short sleeves but I just couldn't commit. And then, of course, I saw a super cute athletic chic wearing the exact same crop pants as me, and she was going with short sleeve. So then I started worrying not just about my shirt choice but also about the fact that her pants looked sooooo much better on her than they did on me. Then she turned around and I saw that she was a seeded runner (i.e., super fast) and I snapped myself out of it. Long sleeves it was, and of course she looks good in her pants - she was probably gonna run that thing 10 minutes faster than me!

The race was really fun. I have not been running much at all and expected to struggle to break 30 minutes. I didn't run with a watch but I told myself to expect pain and just push. It worked - I ended up finishing in 27:40! Very happy with that! And Wes did awesome too - 23:37 or something like that. Good job babe!

After our race we pinned Noah's number on him and headed over to the start of the kid's fun run.


While we waited Liam snacked on a muffin (or 3) and managed to spill an entire bottle of water down his shirt.


Then, right before the kids run began, Noah and I ran into our buddies Lisa and Hannah.


Wes took the kids to the start line and Lisa and I headed to the finish line. I was hoping to capture a great picture but I ended up with a terrible view of the race. In fact when the Noah's group came around the corner to the finish I could not even see him in the chaos. I held my phone up and started snapping away hoping to catch a picture of something. Turns out that even though I didn't see him, my camera did and I ended up with a great action shot.


That's him in the blue pants. Love it! Love his determined face and his perfect running form... I hope this is not the last race I watch him run!


Noah and Hannah after the race, sporting their hardware. (Don't you love that she is about a bajillion times taller than him?!)

After the race we headed home, where I promptly had another freak out session when I realized that we had an hour and half to shower, finish packing, load the car, and cook the rest of our casseroles before we headed out of town to see Wes' family. Thankfully, my Mom and Marv offered to pitch in, and helped get the boys a bath and got them dressed.

So, I am thankful for my health and the ability to run, and for family who helps me when I am freaking out!

And the rest of this post will have to wait because Liam is pointing upstairs and saying, "Go, go. Nigh', nigh'!" I guess it's bed time. You will have to stay tuned for part 2!

No comments: