Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What's New With Noah

Confession. I am really bad at baby books. And scrap booking. And any kind of organizing when it comes to recording my children and their milestones. Except for here on this blog. It seems to be the only place where I am really able to record anything cute or interesting that my children do. At least one day I will have this to look back on and show them pictures and stories about when they were young. ('Cause if they believed life as it is presented in their baby books... Well, let's just say that Noah would assume he only made it to 6 months and Liam would be afraid that he never existed at all. Yikes.)



All of that to say that I have some cute Noah updates to share with you. (Or, more importantly, future me.) Noah is 5 going on 30 - seriously. The things that he says! I vacillate between laughing hysterically and being utterly horrified. For instance the other evening he and Liam were watching a DVD after dinner. Liam had randomly picked a Veggie Tales DVD that I wasn't even aware we owned. (I know, I know, its like, heresy, to call yourself a Christian and not have your children watch Veggie Tales, but what can I say? We were too busy having dance parties to Lady Gaga songs.) Anyway, they had been sitting through about 15 minutes of it, and I was putting laundry away in the bedroom, when I heard Noah say in a disgusted voice, "I mean... how can vegetables TALK?!" I died laughing - mostly 'cause I have always felt similarly disgusted with the same idea.

Then there was a two weekends ago when we were staying at my Mom's. He suddenly turned to us and blurted out, "Something is wrong with my tooth!" Yep, you guessed it. He has his first loose tooth. And though he was excited about it for a few seconds, the emotion quickly swung to anxiety and he made us promise - swear - that we would just wait for it to literally fall out of his mouth. He does not want it pulled. Shocker.

Also, a few nights ago we were reading before bed when something happened that reminded me what a little sponge he is. We usually read one or two chapters of either a Magic Tree House book, or Magic School Bus book. That night we were reading about children on a field trip to see sharks. I was reading a part about an octopus when he stopped me and very seriously informed me of the following:

"Mama, do you know what? Octopuses are very good at getting away from predators 'cause they have jet propulsion. (This is all punctuated by his emphatic hand gestures by the way.) That's like, when the shark chases them and they use jet propulsion to get away. And they have ink defense too. It's like, they see a predator, and Bam!, they let out their ink defense. That's why they are so good at getting away from sharks. And, anyway, they could always just 'stang' them with their...tenta...penta...what are those things called?..." (trailing off).

"Tentacles?"

"Yes! They could always just stang them with their tentacles."

Of course, I was very impressed that he knew all those things and I told him so. Then I asked if they were learning about sea life at school.

"No", he scoffed. "I heard it on Wild Kratts."

(That is a TV show about two brothers who study wild animals, for those of you who don't have a 5 year old boy.)

These are just some of the things that he has done lately that are worth mentioning. I could go on - and on. But I won't. All I will say, is that Noah constantly amazes me with how smart and funny and sweet he is. I love having the privilege of being his Mom and getting to watch him grow up!

No comments: