Saturday, October 11, 2008

9-1-1 Phone Call

I usually let Kelly do the blogging, but she is in Atlanta this weekend which leaves me with the responsibility of keeping everyone up to date. This is a story I just have to share.

So, Noah went to bed last night around his usual time (8:30) and I was really tired so I read for a little while and went to sleep about 10:00. It was great because I fell asleep right away and didn't toss and turn and didn't have a million things running through my mind. But, my wonderful sleep was rudely stopped by thunderous banging on my front door. I looked at the clock and realized it was about 10:30. The banging didn't stop, but just got worse...so, I jumped out of bed and ran to see who it was before they woke Noah.
Much to my surprise 6 or 7 Charleston City Police officers were standing at my door peering in the glass window. I opened the door and one of them said to me, "we got a 9-1-1 phone call from this address." I looked at him bewildered and said, "no you didn't because I was asleep and my son is asleep." He verified the address and sure enough they had gotten a call from my house. In my head I was freaking out thinking that maybe Noah had gotten out of bed and somehow grabbed the phone and dialed 9-1-1. But no, the phone (the only one we have) was sitting in its charger. I picked it up and was shocked to find that it was completely dead with no dial tone at all.
I assured the police nothing was wrong, but they said they had to search the entire house to make sure I wasn't holding someone hostage. Once again, I looked at him bewildered. Then I began the house tour for the police. They searched everywhere: closets, bedrooms, bathrooms, under beds, and they even went into Noah's room with him sleeping. Thank goodness he didn't wake up. Finally, the police left and about an hour later, after the adrenaline was no longer flowing through my vessels, I went back to sleep.
Guess what! Next thing I know there is banging on my door. I again looked at the clock and it was 4:30 in the morning. I ran to the door and this time was greeting by one very tired looking police man. I told him something was very wrong with my phone and he suggested I have it fixed. I thanked him for that advice (I never would have thought of it on my own) and he left and I went to bed.
You probably know it, but I had a very unpleasant conversation with Comcast today where they assured me something is wrong with my phone line and they would get someone out to fix it. It is now 9:30 at night and no one from Comcast has been to my house. Needless to say, Comcast is about to be out one customer and if the police show up at my door tonight...well, I wouldn't want to be the Comcast operator who answers the phone!

No comments: