Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Night Of Firsts

Okay, let's start with this. Noah lost his first tooth!


His teacher, Mrs. Elsey, pulled it at school and they sent it home in a special little tooth holder. It was probably for the best that she was the one that did the pulling as he couldn't freak out about it quite as much as would have for us. He is very proud of the new hole in his mouth.

Another first for us was our first school dance. Last night Noah's school had a Family Valentine Dance. I will admit, at first I was skeptical. I wasn't sure if he would be interested and I was also nervous about taking Mr. Crankypants (aka Liam) out with us until 8:30 at night. However, we made plans to go with our buddies the Brunsons, and it ended up being lots of fun. The minute we walked into the darkened cafeteria - complete with DJ on stage - Noah, Liam, Abby Grace, and Caleb took off to join the mass of children going crazy in the center of the room. It was very hard for me to just let Liam go off - I mean there were giant 5th grade kids running around. I was afraid he would be trampled! But he would have nothing - I mean nothing - to do with me at all. He just kept running around after the big kids and no amount of coaxing could convince him to stay with us.



Noah immediately took off with his buddies and they played chase around the cafeteria. So much for dancing I thought to myself. Until I looked into the middle of the crowd and saw Liam. He was just standing there, staring at all the people around him and I thought, Oh no, he's going to freak out cause he's all by himself and can't find us. Nope. He observed for about a minute and a half and then just started busting out some sweet moves. And that is where he stayed. Throughout the course of the night he danced with several older women, and he also managed to stalk a little girl his own age and plant a giant kiss on her lips! Holy crap I think I have to worry about that one.




Noah finally joined the dancing when the DJ put on the song "Dynamite" by Taio Cruz. The kids went absolutely wild for that one, coming to the dance floor from all directions to jam. They all knew the words and even had hand motions made up to go along with the song. Apparently it's the anthem of their generation. They just wanna light it up, like it's dyna- mite!

By the end of the night the boys were part of the giant conga-line going around the room and I had to sit on the bench and laugh at myself for ever questioning whether they would have fun.




And, last but not least of the dance pictures, this one of Caleb busting a move. He was in the zone!


And just in case you were wondering, the tooth fairy did pay a visit to our house to reward Noah for losing that first tooth. We left her a note requesting that Noah get to keep his tooth, so when he woke up there was a tooth and a 5 dollar bill waiting under his pillow.


(I know what you are thinking. Five dollars?! All I will say is, it is very possible that when the tooth fairy awoke in a panic at 2am and realized she had not visited Noah Shealy, and then looked in her wallet, it was either the 5 dollar bill or a Target receipt. I mean, it's one of many theories!)

No comments: