Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Scenes From Yesterday

Yesterday went by in a blur. Actually the first half of the week did - how is it Wednesday already? Some weeks are just like that I guess.

I didn't do anything all that exciting yesterday but I did take advantage of the fact that The Diva (aka, Liam, the one who has recently decided to throw fits about everything, thus earning him the nickname Diva) was at MMO and I had the morning free to run errands all by myself. I love that kid more than I can say, but he makes any outing so difficult these days. Basking in the freedom to shop without random temper tantrums I hit up Trader Joe's first and loaded up on most of our groceries for the week. I am more and more impressed with that store every time I go. So many cool products at great prices. After that, I hit up Target for a few items - and of course I left with several things that were not on my list.


As you can see, my trunk contained more than one Target bag. I stocked up on really important things like a new hair straightener, new shorts for the boys, chap stick, art supplies to make Noah a costume for Dr. Seuss Day at school (don't ask what I am going to make, I am not sure yet. I am so not that crafty Mom.) Oh and one other completely unnecessary but wonderful item.


Season 7 of Weeds on DVD. I think I actually squealed with delight when I saw it.

After Target I headed over to pick up our weekly CSA vegetables. It made me smile to look at all the pretty colors in our bag this week.


Kale, beets, carrots, and rainbow chard. Not sure what I am going to make with the rainbow chard but whatever it is, I know it will be pretty!

I finally picked up Liam and we headed home for lunch and nap time. Then it was straight to the carpool line to get Noah from school. When we got home it was such a beautiful day that we couldn't resist walking down the street to see some of our friends who were outside playing. Hannah and Connor - or "Han-no and Conny" as Liam calls them, were nice enough to share their toys with us.


The above is a picture of The Diva throwing a fit because he is not good at skateboarding.

Finally, we finished off the night by going to our new small group for Bible study. I never like having to settle into a group with a ton of new people that I don't know, but this group is super friendly and welcoming so they made it easy. I also enjoyed discussing the topic of worship. The idea that worship is the act of presenting yourself to something. Humans are made to worship - we all do it. The question is, what are we presenting ourselves to. What are worshiping? More importantly, what am I worshipping in my life? I'd like to say it is always God but that would not be the truth. Sometimes it's my family or material possessions (read the above paragraph about the Target trip) that I worship. Sometimes I find myself worshipping a clean house and well behaved children or diet and exercise. There are so many things we can give ourselves over to that are not God. It's nice to read scripture and be reminded that I need to present myself to God in all aspects of my life. And that I have the ability to do that not because I am such a good person - I'm not - but because he has brought me from death to life through the grace of His son Jesus.

And I think the above lesson will be really applicable to me right now as I deal with my little Diva. Instead of the frustration and anger that come naturally to me when I experience his tantrums, I want to try and see my being a mother as an act of worship to God. I hope that I can show my children love and grace the way I am called to.

And it looks like I can start right now. The Diva is currently screaming while throwing trains across the room because he cannot get them hooked together to go across his track. Deep breath...Here goes!

No comments: