Monday, May 7, 2012

Derby Fun

Several weeks ago our friends Brandy and Joe invited us to their annual Kentucky Derby party. Normally we would have spent Cinco de Mayo with margaritas and guacamole, but this year celebrating the 138th Run for the Roses seemed way more fun. Especially because it meant we all got to dress up in pretty dresses and fancy hats!

(A side note: After I bought my hat and showed it to Noah he said, "Ha! Your hat looks like a sombrero Mama!" I started to be offended, but then figured that a Derby hat that could double as a sombrero was the perfect solution for a Derby party on May 5th.)

Saturday evening we headed over to the party and were meant with roses, plenty of mint juleps and lots of friends looking really cute.



With drinks in hand, we all threw in our cash for our bets and headed in to watch the race. (We drew our horses out of a hat and I was very excited to get one of the favorites, Bodemeister.) We all gathered and cheered like crazy for our horses.


I was very excited to see my horse lead the pack for most of the race, but as they turned down the home stretch I was nervous. Front runners never win - and I was right. A horse came out of nowhere and stole the lead at the last second. Turns out it was Lisa's horse (appropriately named I'll Have Another) and I cursed her, and then laughed thinking it was meant to be that she won with that horse! (We'll get you next year Davis family - perhaps with a horse named I Love Wine!) I took second though and ended up with $30 so it worked out okay in the end!

After that we gorged ourselves on a feast of southern food and desserts and spent the evening hanging out and laughing. All in all, a very good time. I am counting on it becoming a Carolina Bay tradition.

No comments: