Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Noah and Liam

There are so many things I should be doing right now. Washing (and then folding and then putting away) 4 loads of laundry. Washing the pile of dishes (from last night) that rest on my counter. Sweeping my floors. Oh, and moving the couch to vacuum underneath it because I may or may not have identified a piece of petrified banana underneath it last night when I was picking up toys.

But I just have to take a second to talk about my boys.


Please observe the above self portrait. Taken with my phone - that they dug out of my purse - while I ordered food at Moe's one night. I found it while going through my pictures the other day. This picture epitomizes my life right now. While they have always been buddies, those two have become quite close lately. In a kind of sneaky, up to no good, gang up on our parents kind of way. I love it.

The wrestling in our house has escalated to new levels. (So have the amount of times that Liam ends up hurting Noah but that is beside the point.) They are such brothers these days that if I need Liam to do something and he won't I just get Noah to ask him. And he does it - just like that! They hold hands wherever they go and they even want to sleep in the same bed together. (I quickly overruled this, as two boys in one twin bed does not make for a successful night of sleep.)

I think this new found closeness is a result of Liam getting just a bit older. He is better able to understand and play games and have real conversations with Noah. He shouts "Look Woah!" about a million times a day. And they even joke around with each other. For instance, the other night at dinner I witnessed the following.

Me: (after hearing the unmistakable sound of Liam passing gas) "Liam! Did you toot?"

Liam: (grinning mischievously) "No."

Me: "Liam, I think you tooted."

Liam: (using a Beevis and Butthead laugh) "Haha. Woah tooted!"

Noah pretended to be offended and then they both dissolved into hysterical giggles. I just shook my head. We are in for a crazy next few years!

And then this morning, Noah got ready to leave for school. As he was gathering up his back pack and lunch box Liam came tearing into the room screaming, "Woah, me too!" Still wearing his pajamas, he had gone and put on his shoes and his own back pack. Just like Noah. And he followed Wes and Noah out on the porch and watched them pull away in the car.


He wanted to go with his big brother so badly - it kind of broke my heart. It is more than just toots and wrestling matches. They really are best buddies, and it so very sweet to watch.

No comments: