Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Here Goes....

Yikes. Addressing divisive topics on my blog seems like a scary thing. Maybe I shouldn't even do it. But holy crap. I can't really seem to get away from this Chick-Fil-A debate. It's on my radio and on my husband's twitter feed (which he reads to me out loud) and don't even get me started on my Facebook feed. Ugh, and now it's here on my blog. I guess because as much as I am tired of all the fighting I also have something to say. So here goes.

A friend and I were talking about this CFA drama the other day (and we are on opposite ends of the spectrum in our opinions on the matter) but we both agreed we were not as informed about it as we could be. Wes on the other hand - he is eating it up. He has read a billion articles and discussed the finer political and constitutional points for 3 days straight. Not so much because of any issue regarding gay rights, but mostly because of his belief in an individual's first amendment right to express a personal belief. And hey, I am right there with him. I do find it slightly ironic that many of those who would espouse the idea that a person has a right to believe anything they want to are the same ones screaming about the owner of Chick-Fil-A expressing his beliefs. It seems more and more that a Christian has to be extremely careful before discussing what they believe, as it is not really politically correct to even adhere to traditional Christ values anymore. And let's face it, I am a Christian. An evangelical Christian even. If we're being honest, a lot of my personal beliefs about marriage, family, etc. may fall in line with the beliefs of Mr. Cathy.

And yet... I did not got to Chick-Fil-A for appreciation day today. (Wes did and I am fine with that.) I just couldn't bring myself to step into the middle of such a provocative debate and "take a side". Oh, I will be back to eat more chicken, don't worry. I am by no means boycotting. I just don't know if the right response is to enhance the battle lines by saying, I am on this side and you are not. I think it bothers me because I don't feel like I am on a side.

Guess what? I have gay friends. Not just "I know this person who is gay", but people who I consider friends. Whose company I enjoy. Who are fun and funny and great to my kids. People I spend more than a little bit of time with. And so, to me, this is more than an impersonal political debate. I am constantly putting myself in their shoes and thinking, "How does this all seem to them? What would my drawing a line in the sand on this topic look like to them? How do I best represent the Christ I know and believe in?"

And this is what I have decided. I think Jesus would be eating some fried chicken and waffle fries at Chick-Fil-A. And sitting in his vinyl booth with him would NOT be a group of his most righteous followers. No sir. I believe he would be there with his gay best friend. And his Muslim neighbor from down the street. And possibly his co-worker with a slutty reputation. Oh, and the professing Christian who has a problem with spreading gossip. It would be a motley crew of messed up people, and you know what? He would show every single one of them the love of a merciful God.

In the Bible (Matthew, Chapter 22, verse 36) a follower of Jesus asks him ( and I am paraphrasing here) "Hey Jesus. What is the most important law to follow?" And Jesus answers him with this (which I will quote directly): "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets." 


I know that there are people in my life - gay and straight - who will not always agree with what I believe in. My hope is that my faith in Christ will make me strong enough to love people in general the way that God loves us. Because I have been loved by God in a major way. I have been drawn to him and promised his love even when I didn't deserve it. Two thousand years ago a man who was perfect loved me so much that he died on a cross for me despite my imperfectness. So, I don't feel like I have to worry so much about hammering home my belief about a certain topic to those around me. I am content to focus on love and relationships and to let the rest of it fall away.

What I really want, is to take my friends from all walks of life - including those with different religions and sexual orientations - and go sit at Chick-Fil-A together. I want to eat some ridiculous fried food and drink a nice ice cold Diet can of chemicals Coke. And laugh together. (Oh and say a silent prayer that no children pee on the indoor playground.)

And, as Mr. Gump once told us from the big screen, "That's all I have to say about that."

** Oh. Well, I have one more thing to say. I am in no way judging any of my friends - and I have lots - who went to Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day. I mean, my own husband was there waving the first amendment banner. It's cool. These are just my own personal thoughts going through my head! Love you guys! **

No comments: