Friday, August 17, 2012

Wrapping Up Summer

I have not blogged lately because I have been soaking up this last little bit of summer. And also because I am a little bit lazy.

Noah starts school next week :(

I know it's time for him to go back. His need for structure, and my dwindling reserves of patience, are testaments to that fact, it's just that I'm not ready for it. I am not ready for early, rushed mornings. I am not ready for homework and early bedtimes. The other thing is that this fall is marking the beginning of some major changes for our family. Wes is in the process of opening his own optometry practice - which let me tell you, is no joke. It is a TON of work. So, he is doing all that he needs to do for that while working at his current job full time. We are excited about the opportunity for him to have his own business, but I am very aware that we are entering a period of time where he will be stretched really thin for free time. The other thing that is new is that I am going to be working part time. In an effort to bring in a little (and I do mean a tiny) bit of extra cash each month I am going to be teaching a creative movement class at Liam's preschool 3 days a week. The other 2 days I am making myself available to substitute, so there is the potential for me to be working 5 days a week. I am not complaining because it is one of the few things I can do that still allows me to be a full time stay at home mom. (Liam will go to preschool 5 days a week with me while I work, and I will be done in time to run a few errands before I go collect Noah from school.) I am excited to be doing it - and teaching little kids all about movement and exercise is right up my alley - but it will mean I have to be way better at managing my time. Throw in soccer practice/games, Wes' usual Air Force Reserve commitment and we may be one busy family.

So this last week has been all about blowing off anything that isn't fun and summer related. (You know, like, cleaning my house, cooking a meal, folding laundry, etc.) We have enjoyed going to our friends' houses for all day play dates, gone to the pool and the water park. And yesterday we ventured out to the beach with some friends. We got to run, swim, and even watch a turtle release. It was a very fun day!



Here are the boys with their buds Jack and Joey. The boys waited a very long time for the turtles to be released. There was a huge crowd of people and Liam did not care for it. Eventually, I had to leave and go back to our towels while my friend Jessica stayed with the older boys. I was a little hacked off that I was going to miss seeing the turtles swim into the ocean, but once we were settled away from the crowd Liam turned to me and said, "I sorry Mama. I no like that much people." How can you stay mad at that?! So, we had a snack on our blanket while we waited for everybody.


Oh, and in case you are wondering. Liam is really good at smearing Oreo all over his face. He can even make an Oreo goatee. While Noah was snapping pictures with my phone he got a good shot of it.


At my request he also tried to take a picture of me and Jess. However, his photographer skills need to be honed. Every single try was completely off center.


As you can tell from that last picture, the clouds started rolling in shortly after the turtles were released so we packed up and called it a day. (And PS...I got my workout in by carrying a screaming, sandy Liam in one arm and pulling our giant beach cart behind me with the other one. )

I am off to start the weekend. Our last official summer weekend. I am so thankful for the fun summer I have gotten to have. No matter what I may say, or how much I complain on a bad day, I am very grateful that I get to be home with my boys. They are growing up so fast and I am cherishing the memories we get to make together.

No comments: