Sunday, April 13, 2008

Race for Sight




This past Saturday Wes, and the people in his clinic, had all signed up to run the Lions Eye Foundation Race for Sight 5K. Since my Mom was in town, and could come to the race and sit with Noah, I signed up to run too! We all woke up early and headed over to the race before the sun came up. It was a really small 5K - which was kind of fun considering the last race we did had thousands of people. Wes and I did not run this one together. We each wanted to see how fast we could go and Wes is definitely faster than me so we decided to run separately. It was interesting to run a 3 mile race after all the training for 13 miles that we have been doing. It was a shock to my system to have to start out so fast, but I really wanted to beat my previous time so I picked a guy in front of me who had a good pace and stuck with him the whole way. I'm sure he was wondering who the heavy breather was behind him! I saw Wes a couple of times during the race (the course kept doubling back on itself so you would occasionally catch glimpses of the leaders). He was doing really well. With the exception of few long, lanky, obvious runners, Wes was right in front! He ended up running it in 23:15 and got a trophy for second in his age group! I finished in 27:50 and actually got a plaque for third in my age group. (A small disclaimer: in tiny races like this it is not hard to place in your age group. In fact, there may only have been 3 girls total in my age group - so don't be too impressed!) Despite the disclaimer, it was fun to get an award and even more fun for both of us to get a PR. Noah enjoyed watching. My Mom said he got really excited when he saw Wes come around the corner to the finish line and then really mad when he couldn't run with him. But a post race cookie solved any crankiness! He also really enjoys carrying Wes' trophy around the house!



Me at the beginning of the race - sticking with the guy in the red shirt!



Noah watches Daddy down the final stretch.



Wes sprints to the finish. He says the picture is blurry because he is so fast!



Noah trying to steal Wes' trophy.

1 comment:

The Lovealls said...

Good job Wes & Kelly! You two are quite the running couple these days...that is so cute! Hope all is well! Chat soon!