Wednesday, May 14, 2008

One More Day


Tomorrow is my last day in Florida. The movers came yesterday and in about 3 hours had completely emptied our apartment and garage and driven off. The apartment is empty and clean (except for one final vacuuming in the morning).


Tomorrow I have my final out-processing at 9:00 am and I am officially done with my Active Duty service in the Air Force. It has been a great honor to serve my country and work with so many young people who believe in something greater than themselves. I have been asked more times than I can count, "why are you getting out of the military? Did you not like it?". I look everyone in the eye (no pun intended!) who asks me that and say, "I loved every minute of it". You see, I am not getting out because I didn't like the military or because I am bitter about anything. I am getting out because I want my family to have a home that they can identify with, I want my son to be near his grandparents and aunts and uncles, and I want to use my skills as an optometrist to serve a local community for many years. I want to build and have relationships that are strong and last for a lifetime. I want to have a church that is not a place I attend for three years, but is my family. These are things that are difficult to have with a military career.


Again, I love the Air Force and the military. There are so many great people who are serving to keep America free. There is a lot of debate in our country right now about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. No matter where you stand on the wars, remember that the men and women fighting over there are just that, American men and women. I have seen them, met them, and worked with them. They do their job because they are asked to do it. If you happen to run into one of them, even if you don't support the wars, please thank them for their service and for your freedom.


Tomorrow is my last day in Florida. By the end of tomorow, I will be home...I will be in Charleston.


2 comments:

The Lovealls said...

Wes,

You are so hot! Really though that was a great post. I look forward to hearing more about your new home.

Matt

McKee said...

FINALLY!!! You guys will only be a few hours a way now instead of 12 or 13. We are so excited for you and can't wait to see the house. See you guys tomorrow!!!