Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Little History and A Top Ten List

I came home tonight from Charlotte, where I spent the weekend hanging out and catching up with my good friend Julie. It was so fun - and a much needed break for this worn out Mom.

Before I tell you about all the fun things I did here is a little back story for you. Julie and I have now been friends for a decade! (That's a solid friendship right there!) And even though for most of the ten years we have known each other we have lived in different cities, our connection has stayed strong. I'm pretty sure that is due to the fact that during the time we did spend in the same city we were together almost 24/7. We went to class together, worked together, had the same group of friends, and we even spent many a night at each others apartments. Here is something you should know about us. When we are together, craziness is bound to ensue. I'm not sure what that is all about. In our normal lives we are each perfectly capable - her as a sales rep and me as a "domestic engineer" - but when we get together some latent tendency toward chaos  manifests, and all sorts of things happen. For instance one time, on a road trip from Charleston to Birmingham we managed to make it all the way to Asheville before we realized that we had missed the exit for the major interstate that we were supposed to be heading west on. Or, there was the time we tried to pay for parking in an open lot downtown. We were supposed to put our cash into the little slots of a metal box. Instead of sliding them in one at a time, like the sign said, we tried to cram them all in at once and ended up ripping $10 in cash in half! (BTW, we managed to convince the parking attendant to accept the cash anyway. Did I mention Julie was in sales?) My theory is that we are just always too distracted having fun with each other to pay attention to minor details like exit signs and instructions.

So anyway, this weekend we once again met up for fun and shenanigans. I am going to finish this post with some pictures and my Top Ten Reasons Why I Love Julie.....

#10  We grocery shop the exact same way - meaning we walk through the store throwing in whatever we went without paying attention to the price. I got to experience this as we went shopping first thing when I got there because she had some recipes to make for me. In particular a peanut butter banana bread that she assured me was awesome. (I laughed as she matter- of- factly informed me that the recipe required overly ripe bananas and that she had "been rotting some at home" just for my visit.)

#9  She let me relax with a cold beer while she cooked me dinner on Friday night. Just what I needed!



#8  Event though we planned to go for a run with her running club on Saturday morning, we decided with a quick 30 second conversation that after several beers the night before that was just not going to happen!

#7  She knows all my favorite places to shop, and therefore plans out all the great stores to take me to!


#6  She buys equally extravagant things and carries them around in giant shopping bags to make me feel better.


#5   She is willing to pose for cheesy blog pictures in public!


By the way, we had a good chuckle over the Taco Mac's sanitation rating as we walked in the door.


I was totally unaware that a restaurant could score higher than 100 - guess we could have eaten off the floor!

#4  She is super sweet and took me for a pedicure - and managed to make me feel that it was okay to paint my toenails a shade of green.


#3  She totally understands a girl's need to raid her friend's closet for a shirt to match her new pants.... And the equally important part of being willing to change her own outfit so that said girl (me) would not feel too "party girl" all by myself.


#2  Even though she is a Skinny Bitch (hehe) she consented to eat cheese and drink wine with me on our special girls weekend.



And the number one reason I love Julie? That's easy. Time spent with her is refreshing for my soul. Thanks Jules for a great weekend and for letting me spend time with someone who lets me be me! I hope that we will always be close and that when we are 85 we are still going on shopping sprees together. They make designer orthopedic shoes, right?

No comments: