Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dear Running

Dear Running Shoes,


We need to talk. I know, that's kind of an ominous statement, but you can't tell me you didn't see this coming. I mean our relationship has been rocky for a while now - all summer long to be exact. Every time we hang out you leave me disappointed, and more importantly, on the verge of heat stroke.

(Photo, courtesy Noah Shealy)

So I guess it is time for me to come clean and confess to you that I have been unfaithful. I have been cheating on you for a couple months now. But its gotten worse lately and I can't live a lie anymore. So here is the truth.... I want to see other people. But we can still be friends. Right?

Ha, as if I could ever truely break up with running. I imagine running and I will always be in each other's  lives (you know kind of like those girls who have that one dysfunctional relationship that they just can't seem to leave in the past). I have been a runner for 5 years now and I can't ever see myself giving it up completely, but I have been exploring some other ways of exercising lately and it has been fabulous! The heat this summer really was what made me take a little break from running. Even if I woke up at 6am to fit in a run it was still 100 degrees with 95% humidity and I just felt awful afterwards. Before I knew it, I just stopped having the urge to run.

Here's what I have been doing.

#1: Barre Fitness on Wednesday nights. I am obsessed with this class. It is one hour long and filled with all sorts great stuff. We do use the ballet barre but it is not a ballet class. Just overall strength training using your own body weight as resistance. I have seen big results just going to this class once a week.

#2: Bikrim Yoga. They just opened a Bikrim studio downtown so I went and checked it out with a friend of mine. For those of you who don't know, Bikrim is "hot yoga" (the studio is kept at 105 degrees) and is a series of 26 poses done in a 90 minute class. I was skeptical because I have never thought of yoga as an intense workout but I was proven wrong. Just holding the poses made my heart beat like a I was running an interval workout and I have never seen so much sweat pore out of my body. I was soaked in the first 15 minutes. Needless to say, I will be trying to do this class on a regular basis.

#3: Okay don't laugh... I am taking an adult ballet class. (Never mind, laugh your ass off, it's kind of funny.) On Monday nights I have replaced my running shoes with these...


I have not put on ballet shoes since I was 13 years old, and I was a little nervous that I should not be attempting it at 28. But I have a friend (who is a legit ballerina) who teaches an adult class at the studio where I take Barre Fitness and she told me I would be fine. So I went. And it was fun! I wasn't the worst in the class and after being self conscious for a few minutes I finally relaxed enough to enjoy just being in the class and dancing. Let me tell you, when I was younger I never realized that ballet was an actual workout. I was more sore after that class than I was after the hot yoga! I have decided to keep going back - if I can brave the idea of wearing a leotard and tights!

And never fear, yesterday I went for a 3.5 mile run - and it was great! With Noah in school I only have to push one child in the jogging stroller and I am hoping that any day now the summer heat will start being less intense as we move into fall. So there you have it. I am still a runner - just one that also wears leotards and says, Namaste.

And, on a completely unrelated note, I had to put up this picture of my boys.


Yes, they really did ride all the way home from Noah's school holding hands - two days in a row! I love how much they love each other!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ha! I've been looking at those adult ballet classes, too!!!! However, I would be the worst in the class and would truly sooner die if you honestly have to wear a leotard and tights : )

Kelly Shealy said...

Well, here's the thing... I don't think you HAVE to wear a leotard and tights - I wore yoga capris and a workout shirt - but EVERYBODY else has on legit ballet attire. I actually felt like I stood out more because I wasn't wearing the leotard and tights. And, to be fair, they are black tights and you can wear a cute little ballet skirt over your rear end if you want! You should come to one (Ballet Academy of Charleston, Monday at 7pm). You would not be the worst in the class!!!