Sunday, January 23, 2011

Yummy Fries

At the beginning of the month I happened to watch the documentary Food, Inc. After viewing it I announced to Wes that we would now be eating all organic and only supporting locally grown and produced food. (This is classic me by the way - latch onto an idea and announce some grandiose, unrealistic vision for my life.) In all seriousness though, I have been making a much better effort to make sure that our food is free of all "crap". That means making a once a week trek across the bridge to Whole Foods (all the way to Mt. Pleasant for crying out loud!) and a lot more cooking at home. Which is fine. It is something I have been meaning to commit to for a while now.

Of course, if you are crazy obsessed with anything it soon becomes no fun, so on Friday we decided that our family would take an outing to Chik-Fil-A. (Come on, you didn't think my husband was going to give up his fried comfort food entirely do you?) We ordered our usual and sat down to eat. I had brought some wholesome mixed veggies for Liam to eat, and promptly pulled out the spoon to feed him. But wait, I forgot. My youngest has decided that he can do everything himself, no help please Mommy, and he absolutely refused to eat from the spoon. Out of frustration I threw a fry at him and lo and behold....


Yep. He proceeded to, for the first time with any solid food, pick it up and take bites out of it and reach for more. 

Oh Lord, who am I kidding? Between Wes' love for all carbs and my love of all things related to french fries there is no fighting genetics. So despite my best efforts I guess my family will continue to partake in genetically modified, fried potatoes along with our wholesome organic produce. 

1 comment:

The Balls said...

oh man, isn't food inc so scary?!! chick fil a is the only fast food i will go to these days. i mean, thank goodness the chicken is fried after who knows where it's been?!