Saturday, October 15, 2011

Go Pink!

I have wanted to the Lowcountry Race For the Cure for the last three years, but something has always gotten in the way of me actually getting to run. Three years ago I had a broken foot, two years ago I was pregnant, and last year we were out of town. I swore that this was the year. And then Wes reminded me it was his reserve weekend (which means he works from 6am-4pm, Saturday and Sunday) and my first thought was, Oh crap, epic fail! But my sister came to the rescue by being willing to get to my house at 7:30am on a Saturday to keep the boys - and take them to Noah's soccer game. Aunt J.... You rock!!!

So I found all my pink gear and met up with this lovely lady to run this morning.


My friend Jessica, also known as Mrs. Lighthart, Noah's beloved preschool teacher.

We headed to Daniel Island and, after much debate about short sleeves versus long sleeves, we lined up at the start in a sea of pink. (Short sleeves was absolutely the best choice, in case you were on the edge of your seat wondering!) The weather was perfect and the sky was blue and people were happy - it was a great day for a run. Of course, there was the usual 5K chaos at the start. For some reason people have a hard time understanding the phrase, "Walkers in the back, runners in the front." Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with walking, but it is so frustrating to have to hop curbs to avoid running into the walkers who started in the front! We spent the first mile bobbing and weaving around people and saying, "Oh no!" every other second.

After things thinned out it was all good. We ran at a comfortable pace and enjoyed the beautiful day. After we crossed the finish line - the real one, not the fake on they tricked us with 400 yards out - we grabbed some water and snacks and lounged in the sun for a while. It was great! I love doing races for a good cause, in beautiful weather, with good company!

No comments: