Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pumpkin Carving

We figured since it is less than a week until Halloween we had better get our pumpkin carved. So last night, after dinner, we headed outside to get it done.



We got about five minutes in - the stem being successfully cut out - and realized that the millions of gnats would make this a much better inside project. We gathered our supplies and transferred everything to the house. Also, please note that in the above picture Noah is very intently reading the directions from the pumpkin carving kit. He managed to drive Wes half crazy because he kept freaking out that Wes was using a giant kitchen knife to carve the pumpkin.


He had found this symbol on the front of the package and declared that it meant "Do NOT use knives!" I tried to explain to him that Wes knew what he was doing - and that it is impossible to cut through the pumpkin with the miniature tools in the kit - but he is my little rule follower and remained quite distraught about the whole thing.


While the boys were carving the face of the pumpkin I was sifting through all the slimy innards to collect the seeds. I plan to roast them and enjoy yummy pumpkin spice seeds! (Noah told me I was gross for wanting to eat the seeds. Shocker.)

In no time at all Wes had finished our pumpkin, giving him a friendly smiling face that Noah had picked out.



I love how he turned out! The addition of the little plastic eyes is so fun. Plus, it was a much easier pattern than the ones we have attempted in past years. Yay for finally wising up and buying the carving kit that says "6 and under".


And last but not least, I love this picture. I love how Noah is showing Liam the final product and I LOVE the look on Liam's face as he stares down the pumpkin!

No comments: