Friday, December 23, 2011

Breathe

For the last 2 weeks I have felt like my life was spinning faster and faster out of control. Like I was on a ride at Disney World that was going way too fast and I didn't know how to get off. How in the world did we get so busy?!? I love the holidays, but the older my kids get the more we have going on, and the harder they are to get through.

Then, on Wednesday, my in laws took the boys to their house for 2 nights and I was able to sit down and breathe. And clean all my bathrooms, wrap the presents, organize my pantry, and drink wine with my husband. Oh, and thank you Lord, sleep until 9 in the morning one day. (When was the last time that happened?)

Now I feel like I have stepped off the crazy ride, calmed down a bit and am ready to enjoy Christmas. Here is what I am looking forward to,

~ Going to the Festival of Lights again.

~ Church on Christmas Eve. I don't know if the church we are going to now does it, but I love to sing Silent Night while everyone holds up their candle in the darkened room.

~ Reading the Christmas story with my boys and then waking up on Christmas and having Jesus' birthday cake. I am stealing this idea from some of my friends for this year. Hey, nothing says birthday to my 5 year old like a cake! And why not have one? It is a tangible reminder - especially to young children - of what we are actually celebrating.

~ The one present under the tree that I have been dying to unwrap. The one that Noah purchased and wrapped himself at his school's holiday store. The one that cost about $1.... Yes, if I had to only get one gift this Christmas, I would pick that one. For real.

~ Watching my boys get so excited. They are growing up very fast and I want to be intentional about enjoying every minute of special times like this.

I am throwing off all the things that were stressing me out - and there were a lot - and focusing on this truth....

"Long lay the world in sin and error pining. 'Til He appeared and the soul felt its worth."

None of the rest of it matters. It's about God. Becoming man. Living a perfect life and dying as a sacrifice so that I - in all my UNperfectness - could be saved. It's about the wonderful grace of Jesus.

So. Merry Christmas friends. From our family to yours!

No comments: