Friday, December 2, 2011

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas...

Well, kind of.

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas anyway. A frozen windshield and 38 degree temperature this morning definitely felt more like the holidays than the 80 degree days we had been having. But as far as my house looking like Christmas? Well, I am on the way to an epic fail. We pulled all the decorations out last Sunday and my intention was to get them all up that day. Ha! Somewhere between my nervous break down about the state of my house, randomly deciding to clean out Liam's closet, and then escaping to 90 minutes of hot yoga, the decorations got pushed aside.

Over the course of this week I have made incremental progress. The stockings got hung. The wreath made it onto the door (no other outside lights are up yet - just the wreath. He looks kind of lonely.) And the fake tree we purchased last year remained in the giant box parked in front of my fireplace. Wes kept saying he was going to put it up - and in his defense he did give a few half-hearted offers one evening. But I didn't want him to have to spend all that time tediously unwrapping all the branches so I kept telling him not to worry about it. On Wednesday, I thought I would be super cool and surprise him by having it up when he got home from work. My sister was over, and said she would help. Of course, that was until she saw how heavy and awkward it was, and then she decided that a better use of her time would be to take embarrassing pictures of me wrestling the tree instead. Thanks Jess.


It took about a million years to put up. And Wes was not surprised at all, because he walked in right in the middle of me trying to secure the middle part and cursing the branches for not doing what I wanted them to do. I am proud to admit however, that about 2 hours after I started the tree was up. And lit.


But that was all I had in me that night. And alas, our tree is still lacking it's ornaments. Although, with Liam being the age that he is, I should probably just leave it like this anyway. I have a feeling that we may have lots of broken ornaments this year. But I will make Wes doing all the cleaning up - I did my part putting that mega-beeyatch of tree up all by myself!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

So, you've seen our house, right? A couple Christmas balls hanging on the front porch, wreaths hanging on the garage.....and that's it. I told one of our parents at school that putting out a few decorations at a time is almost worse than having nothing at all up! Our plan is to tackle it today - and by the way, I noticed your tree up the other night when I was walking and was very jealous!

Kelly Shealy said...

Jennifer, so glad to know we are not the only ones still working on the decorations. I look around are neighborhood and it gives me a complex when I see all the nicely decorated houses!! We plan to tackle ours today too - good luck :)