Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Workout Wednesday

One of my New Years resolutions was to get back into running. While I never stopped considering myself a 'runner', the past 6 months or so have been what some would call a dry spell when it comes to my time spent pounding the pavement. In fact, when I looked back at my calendar (yes, I am that dork who records her miles) I saw that for the month of December I ran a total of...15 miles. For the whole month. Womp, womp, womp. 

Needless to say, when my friend Lisa invited me to join a Facebook running challenge I immediately responded 'yes'. The challenge was to  run 70 miles in the month of January. I was totally psyched until I stopped and thought about how many miles that actually was. I would need to run more than 15 miles a week when I had barely reached that same amount for the whole month before. (Whoops!) Anyway, I thought What the heck? I'll do the best I can and see how close I can get to 70.

Well, I am proud to report that I hit 51 miles for the month.



I am stoked! And not just because I ran more than I thought I would, but because I have found my running mojo - it's back! Not only did my miles add up, but the more I ran, the faster my pace got. I had spent so many months slogging through runs that I forgot that I was capable of really running. The spring before I got pregnant with Liam I ran 25:10 in a local 5K. That may not be speedy to some of you, but to me it is 'fast'. And I had totally forgotten that I could do it!

So. My goals....

I am trying to hit closer to 60 miles this month. I did 13 the first week of February, and 14 this past week. I am also trying to throw in some faster segments, or speed work if we want to get fancy and use runner's jargon, on several weekly runs. (If you want to race faster, you have to train faster, simple as that.) I am also trying to do a longish run on the weekends (between 5-7 miles) to gain better endurance. Oh, and yoga once a week. It keeps the aches and pains at bay! Then, hopefully, I plan to make the iFiveK in April my goal race. I am going to do my best to match (or better) that time of 25:10. In the meantime there are several fun races coming up to keep me on track, including the Catch The Leprechaun 5K next month. I ran last year with my friend Brandy and we dressed up in green and had a really fun time. In fact, just yesterday I was on the website scrolling through the photos and found our official race photo.


I know what you're thinking. Those two incredibly fit and smiling girls look nothing like you Kelly. You're right... Look again. Behind them. Yep, there we are! I remember wondering why the photographer was so focused on the two girls in the black and didn't want to snap one of us. Well, now I know why. It's cause we look like that! (But hey, weren't our socks cool?!)

Anyway, it feels good to remember that I actually really like running. And that if I work at it, I don't totally suck! And, even better, nowadays I have a little buddy who can keep me company on my runs.


No comments: